Pigs can be another source of meat on the homestead as well as income. Their gestation period is about 4 months and piglets can be weaned in about a month. If you are considering raising pigs for meat or breeding them, here is some information on costs and time frames.
- Price of a pig – at about 2-3 months which is after the pig has been weaned. ($60-$100)
- Cost of feeding the pig for 3 months to get to harvesting weight is about $115. This varies on what you feed them.
- If you do not process at home then you will pay about $160 total for butchering.
- A harvesting weight of about 250 lbs will give you about 145 lbs of meat.
- At 6 months the pig will reach harvesting weight.
- Total cost $175 – $215.
- A sow can be bred after she reaches puberty which is between 5 to 6 months old and will be in heat every 3 weeks or 21 days.
- A sow can have between 8 to 12 piglets in a litter.
- You can sell the piglets at about 2 months.
- Depending on what you feed them, it could cost around $37 a month.
- 8 pigs at $60 dollars would be $480 and for 12 would be $720.
For more detailed information on the costs of raising pigs, read “How Much Does it Dost to Raise a Pig?” from practical self reliance.com.