Starting a homestead is an exciting and beautiful thing, so much so that many can go over board on animals and find that it is too much for them to maintain. This article will focus on just looking at your family needs without getting too excited and going over board. So what does a family need just to be self-reliant?
Here are a few tips discussed in the video:
- 1 hen for each family member plus half that for family consumption = 6 Hems in total
- If you do a lot of baking – you can double that = 12 Hens
- 2 Dairy Goats (Does) for 1 to 2 gallons a day each instead of a milk cow. You would breed 1 of them a year.
- 1 Pig a year – You can also have your own male and female pair so that you do not depend on anyone else.
- 3 Rabbits – 2 Does and 1 Buck
- 15 Quails
This is a video that talks about what a family of four really does need for a self-reliant homestead.