Chickens usually slow down or even stop laying eggs over the winter but one homesteader is sharing what is keeping her hens laying eggs in the middle of January. You might be surprised to know that it does not include keeping a light so that the hens think that their are more day light hours. Here are a few things that she shares with us.
- Keeping clean hen boxes
- Keeping the hens warm
- White food grade diatomaceous earth – to control parasites
- Hard boiled eggs with shells
- Corn – Once a day to raise their body temperature
- Grains & Oats
- Leafy Greens
- Black oiled sunflower seeds
- Clean water at least once a day
Below is a video from “Appalachia’s Homestead with Patara“. Here she will give you the run down on what she does so that her chickens can give her eggs over the winter.