Buying a family cow is big decision and responsibility. If you are still leaning towards buying a family cow instead of getting involved in a cow or herd share then here is a list of financial considerations:
- How much land do you have? Please keep in milk that the size of the cow makes a difference on how much land you will need.
- If you do not have a lot of land, you will need to buy hay and feed.
- Cost of minerals.
- Vet costs.
- Water and heating costs.
- Trailer for the transporting the cow.
- What type of structure will you have to house the cow?
- Will you have a milking stand?
- Do you have the proper fencing?
- Will you have an electrical fence?
- Research the milking equipment that you will need.
- The cost of a milk refrigerator and containers for storing the milk.
For more details on the costs involved in owning a family, click on the video below. please keep in mind that the homesteader below has a regular sized cow.