We experience many colds during the winter. If you are like many and would like to fight a cold naturally then here are some foods that will help calm your symptoms.
- Ginger – Hot ginger tea is used for cold symptoms and sore throat. Honey and lemon are sometimes added.
- Honey – To calm a sore throat and coughs.
- Garlic – Rich in allicin, a compound found to stimulate the immune system in lab research. Best to be eaten raw and crushed.
- Vitamin D – Naturally comes from the sun. Vitamin D levels are lowest in the winter months which leads many doctors to believe that there is a link to getting colds. Foods that contain Vitamin D are Mushrooms, Salmon, Halibut, Trout, Egg Yolks.
- Elderberry – Elderberry tea is used to help colds, sinus infections, and the flu symptoms. Studies show that elderberry extract may fight viruses and stimulate the immune system.
- Chicken soup – Cysteine is an amino acid in chicken that is found to thin out mucous.
- Vitamin C – Citric fruits and red peppers.