It is good to have meat stored in different ways other than just the freezer. Another way of storing meat is through pressure canning. If there is a power outage and you are not on solar this a great way to keep your meat from rotting. It may also give you a sense of comfort knowing that you are not relying on the electrical grid. This is also a way that you can make a quick meal for your family without having to wait for the meat to defrost.
Here are a few things to know:
- Make sure that your jars are washed well.
- Put the suggested amount of water in the pressure canner.
- Have a clean rag to wipe the tops of the jars
- Make sure you have your canning funnel, rings and lids all ready.
- Wide mouth are easiest for canning meat
- You don’t have to use salt to can meat.
For full recipes, including the correct amount of time and pressure needed, you should purchase a canning book. One book that is often recommended is the USDA Canning Guide. For more tips of how to can raw meat, here is a video from Homesteading Family.