Here is a list of vegetables and herbs that you can regrow in your garden.
- Ginger – Break apart ginger into desired pieces. Sow them and water. In about a month you should see them starting to come up.
- Green Onions – Cut the bottom of the green onion to about 1/2 an inch with roots. Cover the roots completely in the soil.
- Garlic – Break apart the cloves. Plant the flat end down and the pointy part up. They will be ready to harvest in about 8 to 9 months.
- Potatoes – When the potatoes begin to get eyes, you can sow them. Plant them with the eyes facing up.
- Carrots – Cut the top of the carrot about 1 inch. Plant the carrots with the stem side up. After one week, the carrot will start to grow leaves. You will not get more carrots but the leaves are edible so you can add them to salads.
- Lettuce – Cut the bottom part of romaine lettuce and place it in the soil with the flat end down. After 2 weeks, the lettuce will start to regrow.
- Leeks – Cut the bottom part of the leaks and plant in a pot or a garden bed with the roots facing down. After 2 week, you will see the leeks starting to grow.
- Celery – Cut the bottom part of the celery and place the flat part down into the soil. After 2 weeks, it will start to regrow.
- Herbs you can regrow from cuttings – Basil, Mint, Rosemary, Oregano, Sage and Thyme
- For Basil or Mint, remove all of the lower leaves from cutting and place into a container with water. After 2 weeks the basil cutting will develop roots. transfer the cutting to soil.
- Rosemary – Choose a stem that still has green color. Remove all of the lower leaves and place into a bottle with water. After it develops root, it is ready to be planted in your garden.
- Oregano and Sage – Remove the bottom leaves and cut the stem at a 45 degree angle. Place the stem in water. It will develop roots in about 4 weeks.
- Thyme – Choose stems that are green. Remove lower leaves and cut the stem at a 45 degree angle.
For more information as well as demonstrations, please click on the video below from Daisy Creek Farms with Jag Singh.