As new gardeners it might be intimidating to start from seed as opposed to buying plant starts from a store.
Here are a few reasons to start from seed:
- By starting from seed indoors or in a greenhouse you can get an early start on the gardening season.
- Buying seeds is usually cheaper than buying plant starts.
- Much wider choice of varieties, tastes, and textures
A Few Tips on Starting From Seed:
- When to Start Seeds Indoors – About 6–8 weeks before your last spring frost date. Click here to find out what your last frost date is.
- When to Transplant – When seedlings have grown too large for their seed trays.
- Growing Mediums – Get a good potting mix. If it has coco coir and perlite in it already this will help to hold moisture.
- Growing Container Options – Seed starting trays or plastic cups. You can also use any size container but you will need to use more soil.
For more information and for a demonstration on transplanting, watch the video below from Roots and Refuge.